Monday, March 14, 2011

Series of Fortunate Events


I admit, tears came to my eyes as I stared out of the bus window at the landscape before me. The tall snowy peaks of Mt. Torre and Mt. Fitz Roy were in the clouds but the scenery below it was just as magnificent. I felt a tightening in my chest and new, at that moment, I had been searching all these years for something unexplainable, and here it was right before me. Time to back up a little, my grandmother and I were on our way to Parque Nacional Monte Leon just a few days ago. This area is a reserved piece of land in the middle of nowhere along the Atlantic coast. We were truding up the hill out of Puerto Santa Cruz when the rental started sputtering and clanging. I pulled over and the car completely died. Great. Maybe we smacked one to many rocks on the bottom of the car while driving across the rocky road from El Calafate. We got some help getting it to a mechanic and the people that kindly helped us called for an english translator. And this was where we first met James Louise. ¡Dios mio! He took us to his home, fed us tea and biscuits and called the Hertz car company for us. Simply put, we would have never met James if our car hadn´t broken down. He is the curator of the museum in Puerto Santa Cruz, english teacher, and musician. He owns two pieces of land in Argentina, one of them being north of El Chalten called El Condor. He actually drove us over 200km to the intersection to El Calafate and El Chalten but no gas stations had gas so he had to leave from there while we caught a bus. The locutorio is expensive here! Time to go explore the area and dream of the day when I will get to come back and ride horses through the fresh breeze and trek along the icefield behind Mt. Fitz Roy. Chau

No comments:

Post a Comment