Sunday, June 17, 2012

Juneau, Alaska


I glanced into the store window to see these cute scrabble words put together. Other windows held alaskan trinkets, you could find anything you wanted labeled with a cute bear, wild flower, fish, or moose. Outside most of the stores are life sized bears that tourists can cuddle and snap a photo with. 

I arrived by Alaskan Air in the afternoon and caught a taxi ride with a man from Honduras who has spent the last ten years here. He prefers the cold weather to the humid heat of central america. As I looked out at the snowy peaked mountains I shivered, wondering if I prefer hot or cold weather. They both have their ups and downs. 
He dropped me off at Juneau Hostel who staffs employees in the morning and evenings. I left my luggage in a closet then headed into town. 




Juneau is the state capitol of Alaska and has roughly 30,000 year- around residents. Like other sea-level towns in this state, Juneau is caressed by the smooth waters of the Gastineau Channel and nestled between several 3,000 to 4,000 ft. tall snowy peaks. As I strolled through the streets I would stop periodically and stare up at them. I watched as the melted snow cascaded down the crevasse of the mountain, flowing through the lush green forest and straight into my heart. I inhaled the crisp air and smiled contently. 

I found a cute cafe called The Silverbow Bakery, had myself a cup of tea and used the internet. A while later a band set up in the corner and filled the room with tranquil jazz tunes. Beautiful photos of alaska hung behind them looking down at the wooden tables full of tourists and locals enjoying their Alaskan beers and home made delights. 

Tomorrow I'm catching a taxi ride to the ferry terminal with some girls in my room, they are from Australia, London, and Japan. I've heard the ferry is a wonderful way to see wildlife, I'm so happy to be here! 

2 comments:

  1. hey! When did you redo your background, etc? Love it!

    Can't wait to hear all about AK! It's on my non-bucketlist bucket list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erica! I think I did it the end of last year, much better huh? Good to hear from you. :-)

    ReplyDelete