Sunday, February 3, 2013

Comida de Nicaragua

Que Rico!
It is a good thing I love Gallo Pinto (beans and rice) because it is the staple of my diet here for every dinner meal. In the picture above are one of my favorites, Tostones, which is a sliced and fried green platano thus squashed and served. It is especially delicious topped with a salty fried cube of cheese. Some of you may be cringing or salivating at the thought of these fried treats. I usually do both at the same time and convince myself it's okay to eat because I eat a bowl of fruit in the morning. :-)


This week I spent about half of it gardening and the other half making and eating food. My companion was another volunteer, Elize from Holland. In the morning we took the cramped micro bus to the town of La Concha then took a motor taxi into a different barrio (neighborhood). Once there we walked to Marta's house to see what work needed to be done in any of the six huertos (small gardens that grow vegetables). On some days Marta insisted on feeding us, I think she felt the need to fatten up us skinny white girls. When we worked in the garden we watered the vegetables, made beds, and cleaned los huertos. Six families have a huerto and when the vegetables are ready they sell them to Mariposa. 

Elize and I got to participate in the preparation of a large celebration. One of Marta's family members has been gone for three years and every year they celebrate the memory of her. The preparation of Rosquillas above are part of the tradition along with preparing Indio Viejo which is only made for this ceremony. The family prepared enough food and beverages for over three hundred people. Elize and I got right in and tore apart pieces of pork and watched on as the women stirred the cauldron of corn, pork, fat, and herbs above the fire pit. I don't usually eat pork but I never pass a chance to experience another culture through their food and the Indio Viejo was truly delicious.


Making Rosquillas


Rosquillas
Indio Viejo

Maiz y Cerdo, Corn and pork
Before and After

 For the weekend we went to Volcan Mombacho which has a stunning cloud rain forest. We walked around some craters and looked down at Granada and the surrounding volcanoes in the distance. 

Granada and Lago de Nicaragua


A tad windy at  the top


No comments:

Post a Comment