Sunday, October 21, 2012

Dreads, A Lifestyle

About six months ago there were days my poofy dreads were insanely out of control and I'd think,"aahhh! Why did I do this to my hair!?" Luckily, those freak outs weren't often and I could care less how funny I looked. 
Bad Hair day? About two months in this photo. Photo Credit: Erica F.






Before. Photo Credit: Gasun

So why did I do it? I'm not that kind of girl that goes out of her way to make her hair all fancy. Not only that but I am super outdoorsy and the last thing I'm worried about is how my hair looks. I knew that dreads would be a lot of work in the beginning but I was up for it. I had the idea in my head over a year ago and only refrained from taking the big leap when I overheard a women talking about this girl in front of us with beautiful blonde dreads. "White people shouldn't have dreads, it's just disgusting." I thought to myself, do I want to be that girl? 

LET'S DO THIS!!!!




Dread makin' queen


I can't imagine what my dreads would like if Kari didn't do most of them. At the time we were living off and on in the jungle of Panama and had limited resources for getting them started. We sectioned out the hair and got a few going. We didn't get a picture but at one point my entire head had some poofy dreads, other hair braided and then straight hair. When in Panama City we did some research and decided a crochet hook would be useful but we couldn't find one so I carved a ghetto one out of bamboo....it didn't last very long and I don't think it even worked? We back combed and palm rolled with no products whatsoever. I used and still use Dr. Bronner's for cleaning.

About one month. Photo Credit: Gasun


For a good three months I liked the loose ends but decided it would look cleaner if I crocheted them in. I am glad I did this. After Panama I headed to Costa Rica. This is where things got real crazy. Often I was out in the jungle or swimming in the ocean. Sea salt is wonderful for dreads... so there I was swimming around in the salty water when out of nowhere I decided it was a good time to body surf a huge wave coming in. BAD IDEA. I may have looked graceful  for a good two seconds until the waves took me in, pounding me into the sand, leaving my dreads and I helplessly wondering what had just happened.

I had my friend take a photo so I could see the damage. 


I thought, "well dreads, we had a good run but now I have to cut you loose because I was a dumb ass." Luckily I didn't have to resort to that but every time I palm rolled I sent chunks of sand flying through the air. Once out of the wilderness and at a hostel in San Jose, I will never forget these two central american break dancers with dreads. One of them came right up to me and started working on my hair. The back of my head got some good attention with plenty of tearing apart of dreads that were combining forces. I would say that this has always been the most challenging part of having dreads because I don't have eyes in the back of my head. Even if I did, they wouldn't be able to see very well through all that hair.


Andrea helping me out.



My mom and I
I'm grateful for all of the help I've received on this journey of dreads. I would like to especially like to thank my mother who has always been supportive of all the crazy things I do and spending countless hours helping me with the back of my hair. Although, she is going to hate me now that I posted this photo, she really isn't a midget but she is pretty short. lol

7 months, sand free

I've read comments and articles saying that crocheting is bad for your hair but I use this technique a lot and think it has been super helpful. I am very careful when I do it as to not tear any hair. I did have some bad dandruff for a while which drove me CRAZY but I have now fixed that problem with apple cider vinegar. Other products that are wonderful are pure coconut oil, rose water and aloe. 

I was open to the lifestyle of dreads and I've been pleasantly surprised. I do get a lot of stares but more people approach me now than before. A couple times in Costa Rica I would get off the bus and hear someone shouting, "welcome rasta!"Another time I was crossing the street in Skagway, Alaska and as I passed a car the window rolled down and an old man flung his body halfway out the window shouting, "I loooove your hair!!" 

My family on the other hand.....well....they don't say anything. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. haha

PURA VIDA 






2 comments: