Thursday, April 14, 2011

Las Mariposas

There were several of them chasing each other, fluttering around as if playing tag. One or two would disappear then all of them would gather, twirling with the light breeze, dancing up the current towards the pale blue sky. I watched them dance as I safely sat in my saddle, sixty feet in the sky. I was grounded to a huge Red Oaks armpit. Just half an hour ago those same butterflies were dancing in my stomach as I perched up on one of the largest arms of "Rosie." I took a deep breath and logically thought about my situation. I was safe, the knots were good and I wasn't going anywhere.

After watching those butterflies I got to do a bit of my own dancing in the sky. With one big push off the main trunk my body was propelled backwards, I spun slightly to do a 360 turn to land back at the trunk with my feet.

I adore this painting above by Jaime Jose, it is called El vuelo de las mariposas, The flight of the butterflies. In a way we are all made up of a bunch of small butterflies. Maybe their trying to go up towards the sky, and into our minds they go. Sometimes they get a little anxious and flurry around, running into each other causing chaos. And like this woman in this painting shows, she breaths, calming the flurry, and in turn helping those butterflies to perch and rest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment