Sunday, February 27, 2011

Azul

I met a girl named Azul. She was 11 years old and looking ill as the double decker bus swerved side to side on the twisty road into Chile. In my poor spanish I came to learn that she loved to macrame bracelets, she showed me all the colorful twine, circuling her tiny wrist and ankles. She liked my trenza and wished she could have one but they wont let them wear trenzas at school. I wanted to give her a gift, a little jewel of some sort but they were packed away in my bag beneath the bus.

The color of the water wasnt quite blue like the sky, it was mixed with green colored geese poo. A naked little boy gleefully dove and splashed into the water as four kids stood watching. He quickly got out and screamed at them with happiness, all the while shakin his little booty and stinking his tongue out. A little girl stood next to him wearing a safari printed dress that held a small pouch around her waist and brown color print up to her neck. Her brown matted hair, bleached by the sun was pulled back into a blue clip. A dread of hair ran long down her back. It flung wildly as she pushed the boy into the water. Four mothers stood nearby in their bright flower printed flowing dresses, their hair pulled back into a loose bun. They had already tried getting money from me and every other person relaxing in the park. She wanted to read my palm but I wouldn´t understand a word of her so I passed.I wondered if those young spirits would ever go to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment