Sunday, November 21, 2010

Whales, guanacos, and rheas...oh my!

I´m back in Puerto Madryn at the hostel and have to leave in 45 minutes to take a bus south to Puerto Deseado. I don´t feel like writing but wanted to write a little about Península Valdés. We stayed at a research center in the middle of nowhere, it´s called Reserva de vida Silveste San Pablo de Valdés. check it out!
http://www.patrimonionatural.com/HTML/provincias/chubut/sanpablo/sanpablo.asp
Yesterday I explored the beach cliffs full of fossils that date back to 10 to 40 million years old. Sea lions roared and played on a small rock cliff in the water while southern right whales and their young breeched (jumping out of the water) off in the distance. I had an uplifting moment where I realized this was exactly what I love doing. When not by the water we were exploring the rest of the Península or on the reserved land conducting plant survey´s. Every being was in motion with their young, guanacos, maras, and falcons. The dead lie scattered throughout the dry salty habitat. The hot sun scorched our skins while the cold wind sent a chill to the bone. Small scorpions and buckets of bugs ate along side us in the kitchen. The Patagonian Mockingbird sang car alarm sounds every morning to the rising sun. This is Patagonia.

No comments:

Post a Comment